Notes from Andrea's presentation:
- General Catalyst is a 20+ year old firm born out of Boston.
- Portfolio companies include Hubspot, Stripe, Gitlab, Canva and AirBnB.
- GC looks for great founder-market fit.
- Andrea has a background at Amplitude and Lime.
- Their firm aims to be agents of change.
- Founder advice - Founders should figure out if their company is product or sales led. Looking at your end user can help you decide if you should go in a product led growth motion (like a self-serve freemium model), and sales led growth.
- Founder-led sales are extremely important, especially for B2B companies. You only get one shot being in front of your largest key customers.
- Founders can sometimes focus on growth before conviction about product direction.
- Founder advice: Don’t contract your growth too early. Double down on and add fuel to existing channels that are already working.
- Selling to SMBs is different than selling to enterprise. Allocate your time to the right customers.
- GC does refences with their portfolio company’s customers, looking at the strength of their pain point, and how willing they are to pay to solve it.
Learn more about AI, VC, and startups, at inside.com.